Learn how to configure Content Attribution on individual Items so that, whenever a known visitor interacts with any of these Items, the interaction is recorded in their profile on your Marketing Automation Platform (MAP).
Before You Begin
- To set up Content Attribution, you need to be an Account Admin or Content Manager.
- The Content Attribution feature is only available on Enterprise pack types.
- To use Content Attribution, you must first integrate your Hub with a supported MAP. The following MAPs are supported: Marketo, Oracle Eloqua, Pardot, and HubSpot.
About Content Attribution
In Uberflip, you can add Content Attribution to any individual content Item to track when a known visitor has interacted with that Item. This is useful for your prospect nurturing and qualifying process: by setting up Content Attribution on ToFu Items that you associate with high engagement, you can collect data to feed into the lead scoring model in your MAP. This can help you better understand how engaged your prospects are, and when they turn from prospects into qualified leads.
When you configure an Item with Content Attribution, you specify a field in your MAP, along with a fixed value of your choice. Anytime a known visitor interacts with that Item, Uberflip will write the value you specified to that visitor's MAP profile.
Content Attribution works only for known visitors, which are prospects who have previously been profiled in your MAP by submitting a Form CTA. Content Attribution will not work with unknown visitors, and it can't attribute past activity to formerly unknown visitors after they are profiled.
Content Attribution triggers a MAP update when a known visitor interacts with an Item on which the feature has been configured. In this context, "interacts" is defined as when the visitor has:
- Viewed an Item with Content Attribution, or
- Submitted a Form CTA placed beside an Item with Content Attribution (i.e. they initially viewed the Item as an unknown visitor, and are now known because they submitted the CTA), or
- Submitted a Form CTA that links to an Item with Content Attribution (via the Link to Content feature on the Form CTA's "Success" page)
It is possible that a visitor submits a CTA placed beside Item A with Content Attribution, and that CTA also links to Item B with Content Attribution: in other words, the visitor has effectively interacted with two separate Items with Content Attribution at the same time. In this situation, the Item linked from the Form CTA (i.e. Item B) will be the one that is tracked in the visitor's MAP profile.
Identify the MAP Field to Update
Before you set up Content Attribution, you need to decide which field in your MAP should be updated when a prospect interacts with the Item (or create that field, if necessary). To do that, you'll first need to think about how you want to use Content Attribution. Keep in mind that Content Attribution will always write a fixed value to a fixed field, defined per-Item. When you select a field, you can choose if you want to:
- Use the same field for all Items on which you enable Content Attribution. Depending on your use case, you could specify different values for each Item, or use the same one for all. Note that, unless you configure your MAP to block updates to this field, it will be updated each time the visitors interacts with a different Item with Content Attribution.
- Use separate, Item-specific fields for all Items on which you enable Content Attribution. Again depending on use case, you could use the same value for all Items, or different values per-Item (i.e. if you want the field-value combination for each Item to be unique).
Once you have settled on the best scenario for your use case:
- Log in to your MAP.
- In your MAP, either find the appropriate field or create it.
- See below for MAP-specific instructions.
- Once you have found or created the field, get its name. This is the name that uniquely identifies that particular field, and is sometimes also known as its "API name" (or similar).
- Once you have the name(s) of the field(s) you want to use, you're ready to set up Content Attribution.
Here's how to find the field name in your MAP of choice:
In Marketo, you're looking for the field's REST API Name. To get the REST API Name for a given field, you'll need to export a list of fields. For instructions on how to do that, see this article from Marketo:
Once you have downloaded the export, open it, then look under the column Friendly Label for the field you want to use. When you locate it, look at the corresponding value under the column REST API Name: this is the name you will need.
In Oracle Eloqua, you're looking for the field's Database name. You can look up the Database name for any given field in Eloqua by following these steps:
- Log in to Eloqua.
- Go to Settings > Setup.
- Click on Fields & Views.
- Under the Fields tab, use the search box to find the field you want to use.
- Click on the field to view more information about it in the pane on the right. Here, look for for Database name under the General section:
In Pardot, you're looking for the Field value. To find it:
- Sign in to Pardot.
- Go to https://pi.pardot.com/prospectField.
- In the table of fields, use the Name column to locate the field you want to use.
- When you find the field, look for the corresponding value in the Field column: this is the Field value you will need.
In HubSpot, fields are called "properties", and you're looking for the property's Internal name. To view a property's Internal name, you will need to bring up your list of properties. To do that, follow the instructions in this article from HubSpot:
Note that, for our purposes, you do not need to actually click on Export property history. Instead, simply scroll down until you see the field labelled Internal name: the value of this field is the field name you'll need.
Enable Content Attribution for an Item
You can enable Content Attribution on any Item. Content Attribution settings are Item-specific: the field and value that you specify will be passed only for the particular Item on which you configure them, so you must set up Content Attribution individually for every Item on which you want to use the feature. Content Attribution settings on an Item apply across your Hub, so the configured field/value will be passed regardless of which Stream the Item was when the visitor interacted with it.
To enable Content Attribution for an Item:
- Log in to Uberflip and navigate to the Hub you want to work with.
- In the sidebar menu on the left, click on Content.
- In the pane on the right, you should be on the Streams tab. Here, find any Stream that contains the Item on which you want to configure Content Attribution and click on it.
- You can choose any Stream in which the Item appears, including Marketing Streams. The settings you configure will apply to the Item across all Streams in which it appears.
- You cannot do this from the Items tab — you must access the Item from the Streams view.
- While viewing the Stream, locate the Item you want to work with and hover your mouse over the hamburger menu button in the lower left corner of its Item Tile:
- In the menu that appears, click on Set Integration Item Parameters:
- The Modify Hidden Fields for Item window will appear. Here, you should see the logo(s) of the MAP(s) currently connected to your Uberflip account displayed at the top: the field you choose can be located in any of the indicated MAPs.
- Start typing the name of the MAP field you want to use (see above) into the Field Name text box. Any existing fields in your MAP(s) that match will appear in the autocomplete menu below.
- Note that if you have multiple MAPs connected, the fields shown in the autocomplete menu will be from all connected MAPs, with no indication of the specific MAP each field belongs to. For this reason, we recommend choosing/creating a field with a name that is unique to the MAP you intend to use.
- Choose the field you want to use from the autocomplete menu, or finish typing it manually.
- Use the Field Value text box to type in the value you want Uberflip to write to the specified field whenever a known visitor interacts with this Item.
- Finally, click on the Add button to save your settings. The field and value you configured will be added to the Modify Hidden Fields for Item window for this Item, and Uberflip will immediately begin passing the specified value to the field you choose whenever a known visitor interacts with the Item within any Stream.
- If you want, you can also add further field/value combinations to this Item by simply typing in the field name and value as above and clicking the Add button. All values specified will be passed to the fields indicated at the same time when Content Attribution is triggered on this Item.
- Click on the Remove button to remove any field/value combination from the Item. When all field/value combinations have been removed, Content Attribution is disabled for the Item.
- When you're finished, click on the Close button to close the window and return to the Stream view.