Learn how to integrate your Hub with Brightcove Video Cloud to pull in video content from your Brightcove account.
Before You Begin
- To integrate Brightcove with your Hub, you need to be an Account Admin or Content Manager.
- You will need a Brightcove account, and you must have Admin access to the account.
- Your Brightcove plan must also include API access (included with Professional and Enterprise accounts). If you're not sure whether your plan includes API access, please contact your Brightcove representative for help.
- You can only connect your Hub to one Brightcove instance at a time (a Brightcove instance may contain multiple accounts, but they must all be accessible under the same login credentials).
About the Brightcove Integration
Brightcove Video Cloud is a video hosting platform. If you're already hosting your video content on Brightcove, you can easily make it part of your content experiences by bringing it into your Hub with our Brightcove integration.
Prerequisite: Get Your Brightcove API Credentials
To pull your Brightcove videos into your Hub, Uberflip will access your account using the Brightcove API. To do this, we will need API credentials. You can get these from your Brightcove account, and use them to give third party services access to your account without having to share your login credentials.
Specifically, you will need to get the following credentials from your Brightcove account:
- Account Number
- Client ID
- Client Secret
Step 1: Get Your Account Number
The first thing you'll need is your Brightcove account number, which is also referred to as your Account ID. It is readily available your Brightcove account. For detailed instructions on where to find it, see Steps 1 and 2 in this article from Brightcove:
Step 2: Get Your Client ID and Client Secret
To get your Client ID and Client Secret, you'll need to register a client in Brightcove. In this context, Uberflip is the "client", and registering a client for Uberflip effectively creates a special kind of user in your Brightcove account. Uberflip's integration will use this client to access your Brightcove account and pull your videos into your Hub.
As with a regular user in your account, you will choose which permissions the client will have within your account. At the end of the setup process, Brightcove will generate a Client ID and Client Secret for the newly created client, which are essentially analogous to a username and password. You will use these to set up the integration in Uberflip.
You can find detailed instructions on how to register a client in this article from Brightcove:
As you follow the steps in that article, keep the following notes in mind:
- Step 4: You can choose any name and description you like, but for ease of use in the future, we recommend indicating that this is the client you use for the Uberflip integration.
- Step 5: Make sure you select all of the accounts that contain videos you want to bring into your Hub.
- Step 6: The only permissions you need to grant to the client are CMS > Playlist Read and CMS > Video Read, as well as Players > Read. Ensure that the boxes next to these three permissions are checked. You can leave all other permissions unchecked.
- Step 8: In this step, you'll get the Client ID and Client Secret that you'll need to proceed. Make sure you copy these and paste them somewhere where you can easily retrieve them in a moment (for example, a text editor like Notepad/TextEdit). As soon as you click on the Okay, I copied it button, these details will no longer be accessible — if you didn't copy them, would have to generate new ones by creating a new client registration.
When you have your Account Number, Client ID and Client Secret, proceed below.
Create a Brightcove Stream
All you have to do to connect your Hub to Brightcove and pull in your videos is create a new Brightcove Stream. Once you have created a Brightcove Stream, it will remain connected to your Brightcove account, and will continue to pull in any new content you publish there automatically.
Each Brightcove Stream you create will pull in videos from one playlist within one Brightcove player. You can pull in videos from multiple Brightcove playlists by simply creating multiple Brightcove Streams in your Hub.
- Log in to Uberflip and navigate to the Hub where you want to add the Brightcove Stream.
- In the menu on the left, click on Content.
- You'll see the Manage Content section on the right, where the Streams tab should be selected. Here, click on the New Stream button in the grey menu bar near the top:
- The Add a Stream menu will appear. Click on the Brightcove button:
- You should now see the Add a Brightcove Stream window. Here, paste in the Account Number, Client ID, and Client Secret that you copied from Brightcove into the fields provided:
- When you're ready to proceed, click on the Connect button.
- You'll now see the Add a Brightcove Stream window. Here, use the Select a Player dropdown to choose the player which contains the videos you want.
- Once you select a player, you will see a list of playlists contained within that player. Click on the playlist from which you want to import videos:
- Uberflip will begin importing videos from the Brightcove account(s) associated with the client you used. When it's done, you'll see a confirmation message that shows the number of videos that were imported. To view the content Items that were created for these players, click on the View Stream button.
- That's it! Your Brightcove content has been imported into your Hub, and is now available to be included in the content experiences you create.