Use Smart Filters to automate your content management, sorting and tagging workflows.
About Smart Filters
Great marketing means having full control over your content in order to create amazing experiences for your audience. Unfortunately, there’s often a catch: the better your experiences become, the more time and effort they need in order to maintain.
Smart Filters help to reduce that effort by automating your content management workflows. With Smart Filters, you can automatically select Items that meet criteria of your choice, then apply one or more actions like adding to or removing from Streams, tagging, etc. You can then choose to run the action(s) whenever a specified event takes place, or simply on demand.
Create a Smart Filter
- To create a new Smart Filter, click the 'Smart Filters' option in the Hub menu.
- Then click the blue '+ Add New Filter' button on the management screen.
The first tab that opens when creating a new smart filter is the 'Search' tab. This is where you'll define all of the parameters you want to use to filter content:
From this screen, you can choose:
- Located In: specific Streams you'd like the filter to apply to.
- Title or description match: Text in the title or description of any Item.
- Item status: Choose from Featured, Unfeatured, Visible and Hidden.
Got tags on your content? You can use them with Smart Filters!
This drop down menu includes a 'Tags match' option. Any Tags that you've already used in your Hub will automatically display so you can click them to add.
You could also choose Items that do not have certain attributes, such as:
- Not located in,
- Title or description doesn't match, or
- Tags do not match.
These options could be useful if you want to exclude Items in a group of Streams. If you've chosen 'Not located in', for example, you can choose to exclude a type of Stream, like 'Any Twitter Stream' or 'Any Flipbook Stream'.
The screengrab below shows how we would create a Filter that has a 'Visible' status and is not located in the stream 'Account Basics'.
Once you've selected where the filter should look, and what it will be searching for, click the blue 'Next' button at the bottom of the Create New Filter modal.
- Add to Streams: choose the Marketing or Sales Stream you'd like Items found by the filter to be placed in.
- Remove from Streams: If the filter finds an Item in a Stream, this option removes the Item from a Marketing or Sales Stream.
- Feature in Streams: This option will allow you to Feature the Item, either in the native Stream it was created in, a Marketing Stream, or any Stream that has the Item.
- Unfeature in Streams: This option will allow you to Unfeature the Item in the native Stream, a Marketing Stream, or in any Stream that has the Item.
- Add Tags: YES! If the filter finds the Item based on what you've specified, you can automatically add a Tag to the Item.
- Remove Tags: ... and of course, if the filter finds the Item, you can remove any specified Tags.
- Change Status: indicate if the filter should Show, or Hide Items found.
- Delete: delete, delete, delete!
Once you've chosen the actions you'd like the Filter to take, click anywhere in the modal to add that action to the Filter.
Don't forget to click 'Next'.
Here's where you give the Smart Filter a name and tell the app when it should run.
There are four types of events under 'Filter Runs' that will control when the Filter goes through your Hub to find the Items found. 'When an Item is Created or Imported', 'When an Item is Edited', and 'When an Item is Created, Edited or Imported' are options related to changes made to Items or Streams specifically.
The 'On Demand' option will trigger only when the 'Run' icon is clicked from the Smart Filters management screen.
Last, if you want the filter to run on the Items that are in your Hub now, check the box beside 'Run on existing items immediately'.
And that's it! Your new filter should be added to the Filters section of your Hub.