Learn how to integrate your Marketo account to feed leads from your Uberflip Hub to Marketo.
Before You Begin
- To set up a Marketo integration, you need to be in the Account Admin, Content Manager or Demand Generation user group(s).
- You will also need a Marketo account with Admin permissions.
- To get the most out of the integration, you should be using Form CTAs to generate leads to send to Marketo. To learn more about Form CTAs and how to set them up, see this article.
About the Marketo Integration
If you use Marketo as part of your marketing tech stack, you can integrate it with your Uberflip Hub to get the most out of both platforms. Within your Hub, Form CTAs are a highly effective way to generate leads — over 7x more effective than traditional landing pages. And once you've generated those leads, you need to do something with them — which is where Marketing Automation Platforms (MAPs) like Marketo shine.
Form CTAs are designed to stream the leads they capture to a MAP, where you can make them part of your lead nurturing strategy. With Marketo specifically, you have the option of adding these leads to your main Leads list, or to a Marketo List of your choice.
When you integrate your Hub with Marketo, we also automatically assign all visitors unique IDs (using cookies). This has two effects:
- If a visitor fills out a Form CTA that is connected to Marketo, the data they enter is tied to their cookie's ID. This allows us to automatically prefill that visitor's data on any other Form CTAs that they interact with.
- Even if a user has not yet filled out a Form CTA, the cookie allows them to be tracked as they engage with your Hub content. If you set up the necessary custom fields in Marketo, this allows you to track the Items that leads convert on.
In this article, we'll look at how to set up the prerequisites for integrating your Hub with Marketo, how to configure the integration, and optional steps to enable additional data collection.
Prerequisite: Get API Credentials
Uberflip integrates with Marketo via the Marketo API. To set up an integration using the Marketo API, you will need to get API access credentials for your Marketo account. Specifically, you will need:
- Client Id
- Client Secret
- API Endpoint
- API Identity
You can find detailed instructions on how to get these details in this article:
Step 1: Connect Your Hub to Marketo
Once you have your Marketo API access credentials, you're ready to connect your Hub to Marketo.
- Log in to your Uberflip account and select the Hub on which you want to create an integration.
- In the sidebar menu on the left, click on Integrations.
- On the right, you'll see a list of services that Uberflip can integrate with. Find Marketo in the list, then click on its Connect button on the right (under the Action column) to set up the integration:
- The Marketo API Info pop-up will appear. Here, type in the API credentials you obtained previously:
- Click on the Enter API Info button. You will briefly see Connecting... and should be returned to the to the Integrations page in your Hub, where you'll now see connected next to Marketo in the list, as well as three new buttons where the Connect button previously appeared:
- That's it! Marketo is now connected to your Hub. Next, you'll need to configure some options and create some custom fields in Marketo to receive the data Uberflip will send over.
Step 2: Enable Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters (Optional)
The integration will work if you don't complete this step, but it's highly recommended. Enabling Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters will allow you to track visitor behavior within your Hub, and link it to specific leads in Marketo.
- On the Integrations page, click on the Edit button that now appears next to Marketo in the list (under the Action) column:
- The Edit Settings window will open. Here, click on the two checkboxes next to Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters to enable these options:
- Enter your Client Secret into the field provided, then click on Save.
Step 3: Create Custom Fields
Whenever a visitor to your Hub submits a Form CTA, the information they entered will now be passed to your Marketo account. However, by default, Marketo does not have all the fields that are required to record the information coming from Uberflip. As a result, you'll need to create these fields manually.
- On the Integrations page, click on the Fields button next to Marketo under the Action column:
- The Service Fields window will open. Inside, you'll see a list of all the custom fields that need to be set up in Marketo to record the data being sent from Uberflip:
- By default none of the fields will exist yet, as indicated by the x in the Status column, and the red coloring. To be able to record data in a given field, you must first create that field in Marketo. Keep the Service Fields window open, then log in to Marketo in a new browser tab/window.
- In Marketo, click on Admin in the top right:
- In the menu on the left, click on Field Management (under Database Management):
- Under the Field Management tab at the top, click on New Custom Field:
- The New Custom Field menu will appear. To create a field, you need to configure three values: Type, Name, and API Name.
- Switch to the tab where you have the Service Fields window open in Uberflip. Look for the first field that needs to be created and find the Type, Name and API Name values for that field:
- Use the values from Uberflip to fill out the corresponding fields in the Marketo New Custom Field menu. Make sure to copy and paste the values from the Name and API Name column so that they're exactly the same in Marketo:
(Note: Marketo will automatically fill in an API Name when you enter a Name. This automatic API Name will NOT work, so make sure to overwrite it with the value from Uberflip.)
- Click on Create to add the field to Marketo.
- Now, switch back to the tab with the Uberflip Service Fields window. In the Service Fields window, click on the Refresh button. If you created the custom field in Marketo correctly, that field's line will now turn grey, and a checkmark will appear beside it under the Status column:
- Repeat Steps 6-11 for each of the remaining fields shown in the Service Fields window, until you have created them all in Marketo (i.e. until no more fields are shown in red). You must add all fields marked as Required, and we strongly recommend adding the Optional fields as well (see the note below for more details).
- That's it! You've successfully set up the Marketo integration.
Required Fields vs. Optional Fields
You may have noticed that some of the fields in the Service Fields window are marked as Required and some as Optional. What's the difference?
Required fields are either:
- Fields that Uberflip will try to write to, but which don't exist in Marketo by default, or
- Fields which are associated with the Flipbook Tracking/Content Counters options. These options require custom fields, so if you enable them, you must also create the corresponding fields. Note that if you do not enable these options in Step 2, their fields will not appear in the Service Fields window.
Optional fields are related to tracking the Item a lead converted on. These are optional because, if you do not create them, the corresponding data will still be sent to Marketo, but will simply not be recorded. Adding these optional fields will allow you to capture potentially valuable insights on which Items are your best performers in terms of conversions, so we strongly recommend adding them.
You're all set: you've successfully integrated your Uberflip Hub with Marketo. Next, create some Form CTAs to begin generating leads.