Learn how to integrate your Pardot account to feed leads from your Uberflip Hubs to Pardot.
Before you begin
- To set up a Pardot integration, you need to be in the Account Admin, Content Manager or Demand Generation user group(s).
- You will also need a Pardot account with Admin permissions.
- To get the most out of the integration, you should be using Form CTAs to generate leads to send to Pardot. To learn more about Form CTAs and how to set them up, see this article.
About the Pardot integration
If you use Pardot as part of your marketing tech stack, you can integrate it with your Uberflip account to get the most out of both platforms. Within your Hubs, Form CTAs are a highly effective way to generate leads — over 7x more effective than traditional landing pages. And once you've generated those leads, you need to do something with them — which is where Marketing Automation Platforms (MAPs) like Pardot shine.
Form CTAs are designed to stream the leads they capture to a MAP, where you can make them part of your lead nurturing strategy. With Pardot specifically, you have the option of adding these leads to your main Prospect List, or to a Pardot List of your choice.
When you integrate your account with Pardot, we also automatically assign all visitors unique IDs (using cookies). This has two effects:
- If a visitor fills out a Form CTA that is connected to Pardot, the data they enter is tied to their cookie's ID. This allows us to automatically prefill that visitor's data on any other Form CTAs that they interact with.
- Even if a user has not yet filled out a Form CTA, the cookie allows them to be tracked as they engage with your Hub content. If you set up the necessary custom fields in Pardot, this allows you to track the Items that leads convert on.
In this article, we'll look at the prerequisites for integrating your account with Pardot, how to configure the integration, and optional steps to enable additional data collection.
Prerequisite: Get Pardot login & API credentials
To set up a Pardot integration, you will need the following information:
- The email address associated with your Pardot account. See the note below on choosing an account to use with the integration.
- The password associated with the account.
- Account ID
- A unique ID that identifies your Pardot Instance. See below for instructions on how to find your Account iD.
- Campaign ID
- A unique ID that identifies the Pardot campaign in which you want to track Uberflip Hub activity. We recommend using a campaign created specifically for this purpose. See below for instructions on how to find your Campaign ID.
- User Key
- Your API User Key, which Uberflip uses to communicate with Pardot via the Pardot API. See below for instructions on how to find your User Key.
Choosing a Pardot account
When you create a Pardot integration, you will need to provide an email address and password that your Uberflip account will use to access your Pardot account. As a best practice, you should not use a Pardot account that is associated with a specific user. If you do, your Uberflip integration can stop working if that user leaves your company, changes their email or password, or their Pardot account is deactivated.
Instead, we recommend that you create a new account specifically for the Uberflip integration. This account should have a generic email like email@example.com (or whatever you prefer) that your whole team has access to, which makes it easier to fix any problems with the integration should they arise.
Important: Using Salesforce SSO with your Pardot account
If you turn on Salesforce SSO for the Pardot account you use to set up this integration, the integration will disconnect and stop working.
Uberflip is aware that, starting on February 15, 2021, Salesforce will require all Pardot accounts to use Salesforce SSO. We are currently working on developing a solution that will allow all Pardot users to switch to Salesforce SSO without disconnecting the integration with Uberflip. We expect this solution to be completed in time for the February 15 deadline, and will be directly reaching out to affected customers with further details prior to that date.
Get your Pardot Account ID, Campaign ID, and User Key
Here's how to get your Pardot Account ID, Campaign ID, and User Key:
- Log in to your Pardot account using the account you will be using for the integration.
- In Pardot, click on Marketing >Campaigns in the menu on the left:
- In the Current Pardot Campaigns list, click on the Campaign you want to use.
- On the next page, click on View Tracking Code in the top right:
- There should be five-digit values next to each one. Make a note of these values, as you will need them to set up the integration.
- piAId is your Account ID
- piCId is your Campaign ID
- Next, click on the gear icon in the top right, then click on Settings:
- Now, click on My Profile in the top left:
- In the My User Information table, look for API User Key:
- You will see a long alphanumeric value here. Make a note of this value as well.
Connect your account to Pardot
All you need to do to integrate your account with Pardot is to connect them via the Uberflip app.
- Log in to your Uberflip account and select any Hub.
- In the sidebar menu on the left, click on Integrations.
- On the right, you'll see a list of services that Uberflip can integrate with. Find Pardot in the list, then click on its Connect button on the right (under the Action column) to set up the integration:
- The Pardot API Info pop-up will appear. Here, type in the details you obtained previously:
- Click on the Enter API Info button. You will briefly see Connecting... and should be returned to the Integrations page, where you'll now see connected next to Pardot in the list, as well as three new buttons where the Connect button previously appeared.
- That's it! Pardot is now connected to your account. Next, you'll need to configure some options and create some custom fields in Pardot to receive the data Uberflip will send over.
Optional: Enable Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters
While the integration will work if you don't complete this step, it's highly recommended. Enabling Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters will allow you to track visitor behavior within your Hubs, and link it to specific contacts in Pardot.
- On the Integrations page, click on the Edit button that now appears next to Pardot in the list (under the Action) column:
- The Edit Settings window will open. Here, click on the two checkboxes next to Flipbook Tracking and Content Counters to enable these options:
- Click on Save.
Create custom fields
Whenever a visitor to your Hubs submits a Form CTA, the information they entered will now be passed to your Pardot account. However, by default, Pardot does not have all the fields that are required to record the information coming from Uberflip. As a result, you'll need to create these fields manually.
- On the Integrations page, click on the Fields button next to Pardot under the Action column:
- The Service Fields window will open. Inside, you'll see a list of all the custom fields that need to be set up in Pardot to record the data being sent from Uberflip:
- By default none of the fields will exist yet, as indicated by the x in the Status column, and the red coloring. You'll also notice that some of the fields are marked as Required and some as Optional under the Necessity column:
- Required fields are associated with either Flipbook Tracking or Content Counters and will only appear if you enabled these features in step 2 above.
- Optional fields are related to tracking the Item a lead converted on; see the note below for more details.
- To be able to record data in a given field, you must first create it in Pardot. To create a field, click on the +Add button beside it:
- Once a field has been successfully created, its line will turn grey, the +Add button will disappear, and a checkmark will appear beside it in the Status column:
- Continue clicking the +Add button for each field until you have added all the fields you want to use.
You may have noticed that some of the fields in the Service Fields window are marked as Required and some as Optional. What's the difference?
Required fields are either:
- Fields that Uberflip will try to write to, but which don't exist in Pardot by default, or
- Fields which are associated with the Flipbook Tracking/Content Counters options. These options require custom fields, so if you enable them, you must also create the corresponding fields. Note that if you do not enable these options, their fields will not appear in the Service Fields window.
Optional fields are related to tracking the Item a lead converted on. These are optional because, if you do not create them, the corresponding data will still be sent to Pardot, but will simply not be recorded. Adding these optional fields will allow you to capture potentially valuable insights on which Items are your best performers in terms of conversions, so we strongly recommend adding them.
You're all set: you've successfully integrated your Uberflip account with Pardot. Next, create some Form CTAs to begin generating leads.
Important: Pardot Form Handlers and Uberflip Form CTAs
If you use Form Handlers in Pardot, you must also enable the option Never hide this CTA on any Form CTA connected to a Form Handler. This is required because Form Handlers will only submit when a Form CTA is actively submitted (bypassed Form CTAs for known leads will not submit a Form Handler).