Get more useful data from Hub Metrics by ignoring traffic from your own internal IP addresses.
Before You Begin
- To set up IP address exclusion, you need to be an Account Admin, Content Manager, or Analyst.
- To do this, you'll need to know your organization's IP address(es). You can usually obtain this information from your IT department.
About Excluding IP Addresses
You probably spend a fair amount of time browsing through your own Hub — both to admire your hard work (of course), and to make sure everything looks good. On top of that, people within your organization, like your Sales and Success teams, will also be routinely browsing your Hub to look for content to share.
Unfortunately, all of this internal traffic can throw off your metrics: since you tend not to browse the same way your audience would, this can skew the data and nullify any helpful insights into visitor behavior and preferences. To avoid this, you should set your Hub Metrics to exclude any data generated by Hub visitors with IP addresses that belong to your organization's networks.
In this article, we discuss excluding IP addresses in the context of excluding your own internal IPs, since that's the most common use case. You've probably already inferred this, but just to avoid any confusion: you can of course choose to exclude any IP address you like from your metrics, not just your own!
Set Hub Metrics to Exclude IP Addresses
You can exclude any individual IP address or range of IP addresses (the specified addresses must be IPv4). Excluding an IP address does not work retroactively, i.e. any previously collected data relating to an excluded IP address will not be removed from your existing metrics.
- Log in to Uberflip.
- After logging in, click on Metrics in the top menu.
- On the Metrics Dashboard, find the Metrics Options box on the right. Here, click on Exclude IP Addresses.
- The Metrics Excluded IPs window will appear. Use the IP Addresses text box to type in your internal IP addresses that you want to exclude from metrics collection.
- See the help text in the window for accepted formats.
- You can separate a list of multiple individual IPs with a comma, e.g.:
- When you are finished, click on Save. Your settings will take effect immediately.