Need to change the reading direction of a Flipbook written in a language that reads right-to-left? Here's how.
Before you Begin
- To use this functionality, you need to be an Account Admin or Content Manager.
Change Flipbook Reading Direction
Many languages read from left-to-right, and by default, Flipbooks flip pages in this way as well (i.e. the page on the right is flipped to go to the next page). However, some languages (such as Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, etc.) read right-to-left, which requires flipping pages in the opposite direction.
While Flipbooks aren't designed to start on the right-most page and flip the left page to advance, you can still use a workaround to enable this by using page offset. This will also allow the reader toolbar to display correct page numbers (albeit with a "negative" page numbers).
- Log in to Uberflip and click on Flipbooks > Manage Flipbooks.
- If you have multiple Folders, use the dropdown to select the Folder with the Flipbook you want to work on.
- Click on the Flipbook you want to edit to open the Flipbook Settings & Options window.
- Under the section Flipbook Options > Manage, click on Override Folder Defaults.
- Under Page number offset, type a negative number that's equal to the number of pages in the Flipbook. For example, if the Flipbook is 5 pages long, type in -5. This will allow the page numbers to be displayed correctly (with a leading minus symbol, however).
- Under Cover Thumbnail Image, use the dropdown to select the very last page of the Flipbook (where the cover should be).
- Lastly, remember that you must promote this Flipbook with a direct page link that takes users to the last page (i.e. the first page for a right-to-left Flipbook). All links to the Flipbook that are built into Uberflip will always link to the first page, so you must remember to manually change the links where needed.