If you want to highlight content authors on your Hub, you can add an About the Author box that is displayed below their articles.
Before you begin
- By default, only Account Admins can create Authors (or other types of users), but they can also give users in other groups permission to create users.
- Authors who are set up as users on your Hub (and can log in to it) can also modify their own bios on their account profile. How to do that is described in this article.
About this feature
You can assign an author to any content you post on your Hub. By default, the author of a piece of content will be credited with a standard author byline just below the page title. If you want to give your audience some more information about an author, you can also optionally add an author bio to the end of the article, like this:
This is a great way to highlight your authors, and to establish their credibility with your audience. You can even create author bios for content authors who don't have access to your Uberflip Hub, and are contributing content from an external source (e.g. a blog).
Create a new author
It's common to have authors who create content separately from your Uberflip Hub: they might be posters to your own (external) blog, or even guest authors with to their own blog that you're featuring on your Hub.
For these kinds of authors, the first thing you'll need to do is create them as users in your Hub. This allows you to associate them with the pieces of content they've contributed, which allows the author's byline and bio to appear on that content.
- Log in to your Uberflip account.
- In the top right corner, hover the mouse over your name to expand the menu, then click on Account Settings to go to your My Profile page.
- In the sidebar menu on the left, click on Organization to expand that section, then click on Users.
- On the right side, click on +New User.
- This will open the Add User menu. Begin by typing in the author's first and last name.
- Leave the email address field empty.
- Leave Federation ID blank as well.
- Under Groups, use the dropdown menu to select Authors.
- Finally, click on Add User to create the new user.
- You'll now see the Permissions tab for this user. Make any changes if needed, then click on the User Information tab.
Add a photo and bio for an author
To make the About the Author box appear on this author's content, you need to add a bio. At the same time, it's also a good idea to add a photo, since that will appear next to the bio as well.
- Go to the User Information tab for the author (if you followed the instructions in the section above you should already be there, otherwise go to Your Name > Account Settings > Organization > Users > click on the user you want to work on).
- Click on the photo placeholder on the right.
- Select an image to upload from your computer, and it will appear in the photo placeholder. You can use the slider underneath to adjust the size of the photo. When you're finished, click on Save.
- Click on the Bio tab.
- On this tab, look for the text box also labeled Bio and type (or paste) in the author's bio text. The About the Author box will only appear on their content if this field contains text, otherwise only the byline will be shown.
- You can also fill out any other contact details, like the author's Twitter handle, website URL, etc. Anything you add here (including the bio) will be saved automatically, and will be displayed in the About the Author box.
Add an author to a content Item
You can assign an author to any content Item in your Hub. Just edit that Item in the Content section of your Hub and go to the Metadata tab. Here, use the Author dropdown to choose the author from the list:
The author's bio will then automatically appear below their content:
Add or modify your own author bio
Authors who are also Uberflip users (can log in to your Uberflip Hub) can also add the About the Author box to their own content by simply creating a bio. For instructions on how to do that, see this article.