If you set up SSL on your Hub and choose to use a self-managed SSL certificate, you need to prepare and share a PEM file with us so that we can complete the SSL setup.
Before you begin
- Throughout this article (and elsewhere) we use the term "SSL". SSL has now been deprecated in favor of the newer TLS protocol, but "SSL" is still the more commonly used term when referring to encrypted web connections. To be clear, whenever we use "SSL", we technically mean "TLS" — you should no longer be using SSL on your website or your Hub.
- You must own or purchase an SSL certificate from a valid Certificate Authority(CA) vendor. Purchasing an SSL certificate requires the CA be provided with a Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
- You can create your own CSR files on your own server, or Uberflip can do this for you if you provide us with the necessary information.
- Your company's internal processes for generating a CSR and obtaining a certificate may require knowledge of the server system on which the certificate will be installed. For this purpose, Uberflip's main server technologies are:
Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
If you do not yet have an SSL certificate, you must purchase one from a Certificate Authority (CA). To do this, you'll need to provide the CA with a Certificate Signing Request (CSR), which contains details about the domain and your organization that will be built into the certificate.
If you're comfortable with generating the CSR on your own servers (external to Uberflip), simply go ahead and do so, purchase the SSL certificate, then proceed to the next step below.
If you prefer for Uberflip to generate the CSR for you, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following details:
CSR Request - [your custom domain]
Example: CSR Request - resources.mycompany.com
- Common Name
The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of your server. This must match exactly what you type in your web browser or you will receive a name mismatch error.
- Example: resources.mycompany.com
The legal name of your organization. This should not be abbreviated and should include suffixes such as Inc, Corp, or LLC.
- Example: MyCompany Inc.
- Organizational Unit
The division of your organization handling the certificate.
- Example: IT Department
The city where your organization is located.
- Example: San Francisco
The state/region where your organization is located. This shouldn't be abbreviated.
- Example: California
The two-letter ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for the country where your organization is located.
- Example: US
- Email address
An email address used to contact your organization.
- Example: email@example.com
Once we have generated the private key and CSR on our servers, we'll make them available to you using a secure link on a self-destructing, single-use file sharing service (Securesha.re). We will share this link with the email address from which we received the request.
With the CSR, you can then purchase your SSL certificate from a Certificate Authority.
Share the certificate with Uberflip
Because Uberflip is SaaS, your Hub and the content on it is delivered from our servers — even if visitors are accessing the Hub via your custom domain. As a result, we'll need to install your SSL certificate on our servers, which means you need to securely share the certificate with us.
- To send us the certificate, we recommend using a secure file sharing service. These typically create a single-use download link that you can share with us so that we can download the certificate. We like to use Secureshar.re, but if you prefer another service, you are welcome to use that instead.
- If possible, please send us the certificate in PEM format (typically a .pem, .crt, .cer or .key file), or in PFX format, as this will help us to complete your SSL setup faster.
When you have generated the secure download link, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. As soon as your certificate has been installed and your SSL setup completed, we will let you know by email.